Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grapefruit.

So have you ever realized you are doing something simply because you've always done it that way, because that's what your parents did, so you never questioned it?

Well, I never realized that there was another option for grapefruit. I was raised eating it a certain way, and never deviated from it until I married THAD. He's inspired me to question a lot of things, and this particular one is HOW TO EAT A GRAPEFRUIT.

So I pose the question, friends....

Sugar, salt or plain?



I will enlighten you on my preference after I've heard about yours. Please leave a comment and let me know! Also, if you wouldn't mind voting on my poll on the right-hand side, that'd be great, too!

Happy commenting!

22 comments:

Jadesdoll said...

There is always another way to do everything. Never wrong or right, just different, and I don't think it really matters. Just do it the way you like!
P.S. I have tried all three options and like salt the best!

Heidi said...

I was raised with sugar and never thought to try anything else, either. :)

Ryan said...

Salt. I LOVE salt on grapefruit and in grapefruit juice. I always get funny looks when I salt up my grapefruit juice, but that's how I roll.

Mom Swasey said...

Salt for me makes a bitter grapefruit taste sweet.

Charlotte said...

None of the above! I grew up eating mine like an orange and still do. Taught all my kids to do the same;)

Although I will say Jase eats his cut in half with sugar.

Rachel said...

No thank you, I'll have an orange, plain.

GustoBones said...

I actually don't eat grapefruit. I never liked it as a kid when my parents would let me have a "taste", so I have never bought it. Maybe I need to give it a whirl!

Marlo said...

I always eat it with sugar. I have tried it plain, but YUCK. I had a mission companion from the south and she always put salt on things like grapefruit and watermelon. I tried not to judge, but I really thought it was gross. And this is coming from a girl who LOVES salt...only in its correct place. Fun poll.

Ginger & Louis said...

I peel it like an orange, remove the skin from each section. YUMM. I do cut it up sometimes and eat with sugar.

The Hanselmann Family said...

I was raised on sugar, however, with the addition to David to our family, (he puts salt on everything), I know that salt would be great. Salt brings the sweetness out in food, that is why we put it in cookies. I should tell you that I hate grapefruit and will not eat it. HeeHee

The Hanselmann Family said...

Oh by the way, that sugar really needs to be stored in some Tupperware!! Just kidding! :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have heard of salt on watermelon, but never on grapefruit. Since I have not tried this experiment I don't feel I could give an informed decision. I grew up eating it with sugar, but usually just eat it plain now (who needs extra salt or sugar)? This makes me want to go out and get some just to see. :)

Unknown said...

I eat grapefruit the same way Ginger does except when I cut it in half I eat it plain. I just love the taste of it. My kids all love it the same way. My hubby on the other hand can't stand grapefruit. Which is okay by me because then I get more!

Mindi B said...

I grew up eating it with salt, but I actually like it better plain. Have fun with the poll :)

Ras Family said...

Plain all the way.

j and s said...

Plain---I can't imagine putting sugar or salt on it. It's actually very sweet if you eat it the "right way"--right being subjective. My father LOVES grapefruit and taught me to peal the skin off--not just the outside skin but the skin that sections it so you just have the juicy part. It is sooo yummy.

Camille said...

Plain, plain, plain. Why ruin a perfectly good fruit? :)

Babydoll said...

Just plain. And I love straight grapefruit juice, unsweetened, as well. But my hubby won't touch one without sugar. Here's one for you though. I eat cottage cheese with salt and pepper on it. My hubby thinks that is the most disgusting thing ever, and eats it with fruit.

J Ellefson said...

Now that I am a grown up*wink,wink*, I tend to eat it plain....but when I am feeling less mature I put lots of sugar on mine. I actually never even thought of putting salt on grapefruit.

Kari said...

Sugar...lots of sugar! mmmm!

Kari said...

This has nothing to do with grapefruit, but does anyone have an update on Erika's condition?

Priest Family - Laura said...

Kari, I believe her facebook page has updates being posted on it.