Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Miracle

As many of you know, I have been in the hospital (from March 8th to April 15th) with a very aggressive strep infection in my abdomen. A bit of the history as I know it...it took 4 days to find the problem because every test came back clean, and the doctors couldn't find a problem. So they decided to do abdominal surgery because my system was failing, and they weren't sure what they'd find. On Monday, March 9th I had my first surgery (of which I do not remember) to which they found was full of puss and infection. I was teetering on the edge of life for about a week and a half, it was really touch and go for awhile. At one time I weighed 200 lbs because they filled me with water trying to stabilize my blood pressure and keep my organs functioning.

I was unconscious until March 18th, I think... During recovery in ICU, I remember stuffing a wet washcloth in my mouth to sleep because my mouth was so sticky and dry I couldn't sleep. I remember a lot of noise and construction. I remember looking at words and not being able to read. I remember listening and not understanding. I remember not being able to keep hold of a single thought in my head. I remember re-teaching myself how to tell time. I remember people talking about me like I wasn't there. I remember hallucinating about domestic violence and childcare in the ICU nurses station. I remember not sleeping for 24 hours. I remember eating ice chips from a green sponge. I remember unquenchable thirst. I remember wanting pizza and a Wendy's Frosty. I remember loving to brush my teeth. I remember lots of cards, letters, balloons, flowers, and gifts.

After I was taken out of ICU things seemed better, but I still couldn't breathe well. I felt like I had a dozen bricks on my chest all the time, and I was always exhausted. I was always breathing like I'd been running a marathon. That's when they decided to do surgery #2, a thorocotomy. My right lung was so full of blood, blood clots, and inflammation that after draining it 3 times (by poking holes in my back to drain liquid out), they decided surgery was the only way to fix it. I felt so much better after that surgery, I couldn't thank Dr. Wertheimer enough for doing the surgery for me (see pic. red line goes from under armpit up my shoulder blade in back...) but I felt so much better afterward. I could breathe again!

I had several doctors working on me at different times. The source of the infection is a mystery. We still don't know where it came from. Every route, including vaginally was clean. Every doctor is scratching their head as to where the infection came from.

The trauma made my my fingers (to the first knuckle) and toes black. They were afraid I'd lose them, but thankfully they've pinked up and come back nicely. All the skin peeled off my hands and feet, so they are really sensitive. I wear bandages on my fingers all the time.

I've lost a lot of weight and muscle strength. I am completely starting over learning how to walk, write, etc. again. It'll be a slow process, but I am really wanting to get back to myself again.

My kidneys aren't working yet. I have dialysis 3 times a week. It wipes me out. They expect them to return to regular function, but it will take time. There is a possibility they won't which would require a transplant in the future, but they are optimistic mine will come back.

Since I came home on April 15th, my accountant brother-in-law, Matt, jokes that I cheated death and taxes. My body looks like a battle ground, though (see illustration.) My incisions are almost all healed now and am glad to be home and ALIVE!

Dr. Ott, Jr. left my belly button! Yay!

Most of my amazing doctors and surgeons: (I'm sure I've missed some)
*Peter Sakas, MD; Anesthesiology
*Warren E. Gall, MD; Cardiovascular Surgery
*Mark Wertheimer, MD; Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery (my thorocotomy surgeon)
*Laura Neal, MD; Obstetrics & Gynecology, Infertility
*Roger A. Ott, Jr., MD; General Surgery (an outstanding surgeon, and known for it!)
*Mark K. Janes, MD; Pulmonary Medicine
*Honorio J. Caceres, MD; Infectious Diseases-Internal Medicine
*John Whalen, MD; Internal Medicine
*Thomas A. Sinsky, MD; Internal Medicine
*David Ringold, MD; Internal Medicine

A special thanks to all my doctors, anesthesiologist, nurses, PT, OT, dialysis nurses. I can't thank you enough for your all your expertise, compassion and all that you have done to get me back on my feet! Each one of you made a difference!

And thanks to the rest of you for all of your prayers and fasting. I know that they were the main reason why I am alive today. I've felt your love and concern for me. I can't believe how many of you have been so kind to offer words of encouragement and prayers. YOU are my miracle. Thank you so much, I love you all.

Most of all, I thank my Heavenly Father for allowing me to stay here; to be a wife, a mom, friend and sister. I will forever treasure each day and each moment I am blessed with.

37 comments:

B said...

I'm so grateful that you are back and that you are getting better. Life can be so fragile and precious and it was so scary thinking that we might loose you. I am so happy that you are recovering and progressing, day by day.

I have missed your posts as well. My aunt Larae and my co-worker Jackie enjoy seeing the latest at your house with you, the girls, and with Thad.

Priest Family - Laura said...

Erika, we are all so glad you're home, this is truely a miracle, a wonderful gift from God.
So glad to hear that you're home, and words really can't express how amazing this all really is. We're all so happy for you and your family. :)
~The Priest Family

Charlotte said...

Man, now I'm all teary again!! Thanks so much for this post - I can't tell you how amazing it is to hear the whole story from YOU. What an experience you've been through. I'm so grateful that you are still with us and are recovering so well. (I'm thinking if your fingers can go from black to pink then surely your kidneys will kick back in soon!) You are a regular fixture in our prayers. We love you!!

Becky said...

Erika,
I am sorry you had to go through and are still going through such a horrible experience. I am grateful you are a fighter, because life if fragile and you are a ROCK for your family and friends. We love you very much and hope that you will continue to progress in your strength!

Becky

Chad & Heather Banda Family said...

All the scars are a visual reminder just how much your Heavenly Father loves you...and needs you. You are truely a miracle, and I am thankful to have witnessed it.

So Many M's said...

Wow, what an ordeal. We are grateful you are home and doing better. You sure have a long road ahead of you, but look at all you have accomplished already, (I mean updating your blog is a huge feat in and of itself). Good job you. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers and I look forward to your updates. God bless.

The Hanselmann Family said...

I am so proud of you and the fight you have fought. I know from experience that you will be blessed beyond your imagination for your hardships. Please let me know if you need anything.

Marcie said...

I was so sorry to hear about the health challenges you've had the past several weeks. I had no idea until about 2 weeks ago. I am so glad you have recovered so much, and hope you continue in that direction! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

J Ellefson said...

I agree with Heather. Obviously Heaven Father needs you here to help and be an inspiration to others. I am so grateful that you are feeling better. I can't tell you how happy I am to see a new post.

Unknown said...

Erika, wow, that was quite the ordeal you've been through and are still going through. We're glad things have worked out so well. Just can't even imagine how scary that must have been for you and your family. Wish you well and a full recovery

Tiffany said...

What a battle you are fighting! I am so grateful they were able to figure out what the problem was...knowledge is power. We have been working for 4+ years to figure out what's wrong with my husband, to no avail so it's very wonderful to see doctors work the problem and get you the help you need. I am so grateful things are moving forward, even though I know it's a long road ahead. My prayers are with you and your sweet family.

Unknown said...

Erica:
Wow! I am so glad you are a fighter. I think it runs in our Swasey blood. I was devastated when I heard your news. I have mentored patients who come to the burn unit with skin infections similar to yours. Their results are very traumatic. I am so glad you were willing to fight and that our Heavenly Father let you stay. You have already blessed many peoples' lives and will continue to bless others, I'm sure.
Live on!

GustoBones said...

You have been in our prayers nonstop and I am so glad to hear that you are home from the hospital and on the way back. It sounds like a long road still ahead, but you are such a fighter, I know you will do great! I have thought about you so much and haven't communicated like I would have liked to, just know that you have been in my heart so much. You and your family will continue to be in our prayers!

The Scott and Camille Neilson Family said...

We are so very happy to hear that you are home and doing well!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are home and are hopefully on the road to a full recovery!

jrnelson said...

Modern medicine is such a blessing to us! We are so glad that you are finally home and able to be with your family. We continue to keep you in our prayers and hope for a speedy full recovery. We love you!

Super B said...

Oh my goodness. We are SOOOOOO happy you are home and well. We love you so much and will continue to pray for you and your family!! What a miracle. You must be a true fighter!!

Ryan said...

I'm so glad you're home and recovering. You had us all worried. Your family was so great at sending out updates and letting us know how you were doing.

We're still praying for you and your family. Keep being the example you are to all of us.

s g said...

Erika...its me, Sara Gillespie from the Vancouver ward. Wow, what a crazy and hard thing to endure. Please know you have constantly been in our prayers and we pray that a FULL recovery is in your future. Hang in there, you are one tough woman. I am sure you girls are so glad to have you back :)

ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ellen said...

i have never been happier to see a post from you! welcome home. WELCOME HOME!!! i wish we could be there to help you out and take the girlies. maybe we will swing by this summer:) get better quick so we can see you in july. we just love you to bits and will keep praying for you. sounds like you have your voice back too so now i can call you and not feel so bad about wearing you out. and i still think i win the longest time it takes to put up a post! don't steal that title from me! it's all i've got. :)

Stacy said...

Erika~
I am so happy that you are home. You are amazing! I can't wait to see you and talk Twilight!
Stacy

Melissa Mae said...

It is so good to hear that you are home. What a roller coster ride for you and your family! I heard someone say that the more trials we go through here we will be blessed for in the next life. Well girl you will be blessed for the eternities! I'm so happy that you are on the road to recovery. Good luck sweetie! We will continue to pray for a full recovery for you and all your many battle wounds. It sounds like you are already stronger spiritually from this trial. Keep up the great work! Thanks for the amazing post! Love you!

LaRae said...

Brock introduced the staff at American Promotions to your blog while you were sick in the hospital. Reading your blog gave us the opportunity to get to know you and your family. We are all jumping for joy that you are back and that we are reading this entry about you, our miracle. We'll stay tuned for more blogschmog!

Troy said...

Erika,
So glad that you are doing well. You are a staple in our family prayers now. The kids are looking forward to meeting you. I have to admit when I was reading your post that I was a little worried when you talked about pictures of the incisions because when Curtis, my brother cut his hand, they sent pictures that made me sick. Thanks for the "sterilized" photo. Get well soon!

Dave Alleman said...

We got the updates from Melissa and I couldn't stop thinking of you and your cute little family. I'm so glad that you are OK.
Skye

Kelsea said...

What an amazing miracle, Erika! I am so impressed by the way you handle adversity (and you have had PLENTY throughout your life). Life is such a miracle, in and of itself, but to hear your story and the mystery of what caused it really makes me think of how much I treasure my life. I still cannot imagine what it has been like for you this past month, but to feel such gratitude for just being able to be alive is so wonderful! I am so thankful that you are doing well and I will keep praying for your continued recovery and for your kidneys to return to their full function! I truly wish you the best.

Love ya,
Mindi

Cynthia said...

HOLY COW! So I find you on facebook and I'm glad to hear that you are still alive- then glad to hear that you really are still alive! My goodness, woman! I hope that your healing continues. Your little girls are adorable! Great to reconnect-

Jadesdoll said...

We love you! I don't know what it is with the Swasey family. You all must have very important missions here on Earth! I know the journey we went through woke me up to where my focus should be. I am sure you feel the same about what you have gone through and will continue to go through. It makes you realize what really matters, and how to appreciate every minute you have. I often need to be reminded of that, and your ordeal was another reminder for me. We are so grateful you are still with us.

Jeri said...

Erika - Jeri here (aka Polly - Martin Harris Pageant). Melissa told me about your ordeal. I saw your mom in the temple last week and she said you were improving. How wonderful to see you getting your health back. Good luck with your recovery! You're in my prayers. Love and hugs!

Sarah Woolley said...

We are so excited and happy that you are finally home with your family! It is nice to hear the story from your point of view. Meliss and Matt and Thad, and whoever else did a great job updating and sending emails. You were and continue to be in our prayers. We love you!

j and s said...

Miss sweet Erika, we were sooo relieved to hear you left the hospital and were on the mend. You have been in our thoughts and prayers and will remain there for a while longer, unfortunately. (Though it sounds like you are doing much better). It was good to read about what you've been through, but hard. I'm way too emotional:) Know that we love you and are soo glad you are still around. Good luck to you in the road ahead. You've made it through the hardest part, so I know you'll do great.--Jen and Stuart Robertson

The Iowa Ross Family said...

I'm am so excited to see a new post from you! Our family to grateful to know that so many prayers have been answered and you are still with us! Thanks for sharing your experience with us and I know that your Heavenly Father really loves you!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

We have been praying for you and keeping close tabs on your progress, thanks to some people who love you very much and send out word frequently. I am so glad you are home and feeling better. Let me know if you need a kidney or something! I think I've got an extra one laying around that you could borrow!

Ras Family said...

Erika, Yeah! I am so excited to see a post from you. Thanks for taking the time to update us. What a trial you have to endure. You are one tough cookie. I am glad Heavenly Father let you stick around. I saw an ad about a homeschool convention in Des Moines and thought of you. (Kache uses his hooded towel ALL the time!) We miss you. We will keep you in our prayers! -Allesha

Babydoll said...

I am so glad you are home and recovering. I heard about everything through email, and I am glad that I knew all along so I could send my prayers your way. I wish I could help out more. I am glad you have such a great ward out there though. You will continue to be in our prayers.

whatyoudidn'tKNOWlton said...

I was beginning to worry about you! We have been out of contact for a long time, but I have missed you like a sister! I am glad that you are on the road to full recovery! You are an ispiriation to me of perserverence! I am so sorry that you had to go through all that, but all of this is for our good right? Hey I love you and really really want to see you so badly! I can't believe what trials we have in our lives, it's too bad that it takes them to bring us back to what's important! If you ever need a kidney I'd be glad to donate!

Love your guts!
Heath