Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day = Preschool Forgery?

Okay, I DO really appreciate all that the great teachers at Micaela's preschool do, but really....forgery?

For personal reasons, we chose to put Micaela in preschool for only three days a week instead of the suggested four. This sometimes becomes an issue with some of the things that they are learning, because it is as if she is absent once a week, so I understand that they have to fudge or improvise things occasionally to get by. But really...was this necessary?

This is the poster I received from Micaela for Mother's Day:



Upon examination after my returning home, I noticed that her name was perfectly aligned on the bottom of the page. That looked like her 'i' and maybe the 'M' but the rest didn't quite seem right. Those 'a's are too well formed, and look at that 'e'. And the letters were so close together, evenly spaced.



I asked Micaela if she had written her name on the letter. She looked at it closely, and said, "I don't think so."

Really? okay, I guess that's okay...but it kinda bugged me. Would they really TRY to forge my daughters’ signature? Fake me out?!? I am a homeschooling mom for Pete's sake! Did they think I wouldn't notice?!? I wondered how many other Mother's Day works went home--forged. This realization cheapened my preschooler's efforts so I was tempted to cut it in half, keep the part w/her picture and (hopefully REAL--)hands, and chuck the poem. But then I decided I liked the poem. I concluded that I needed her real signature and asked her to write in permanent marker in blue above her 'forged’ name.



Go mom! I felt better.



This is a self-portrait of my oldest girl. I love the effort put into this picture! She’s really enjoyed her art classes, and couldn't be more proud of her work. I was asking her about her picture, and she told me she thought her picture looks a lot like her, but she said that when she looked at the other kids’ pictures, theirs looked ‘kinda funny or scary.’…But definitely not hers.



I love being a mom.

2 comments:

Dust + Hil said...

That is hilarious!! I can not beleive a teacher would try something like that! I love Audry's picture too. She has such a welcoming smile ;) Lilie just said she wants to come to your house, she misses Iowa, as do I.

Unknown said...

No, not scary AT ALL!