Thursday, May 29, 2008

Small Town Perks

I'm not one to really post much text, but I said I'd never blog...and well, look at me!

I had had little sleep since Emery and Micaela seem to take turns on keeping me up all night. So on this particular day I was really tired. I had a lot of shopping to do to prepare for the weekend, and so after going to Wal-mart and HyVee (grocery store), we headed over to Sam’s Club. It’s exhausting by itself to bring three children ages 5 and under anywhere, but we had one last stop to make.

At Sam’s Club I loaded up the cart with groceries and paid for them, when the girls petitioned for a ‘red drink’ as they call it (It’s a cherry Icee). I told them that they had to share or we wouldn't get one. (They'd been pretty patient with all the shopping, so I'd consented on sharing terms.) Well, by the time we’d made it out to the van, I was spent and very eager to get home. Not to mention that the girls were not cooperating on the 'sharing' part of our bargain so I quickly loaded the girls and my purse, and got in the van and left.

A few minutes after arriving home, I got a phone call from Sam’s Club. The person on the other end of the line said they’d found a basket full of groceries and a baby blanket. I said, “A basket full of groceries?!? (Why on earth are they calling me about a basket of groceries? Didn't I just unload my van from all of the groceries?) "Yes," she replied, "and a pink baby blanket...(okay, that could be mine...) garbage bags, cheese, chicken, etc." and continued naming off all the things I’d just purchased, (How could she know all the things I just bought...unless...aaauuugghhhh! I guess I didn't unload all of the groceries!) Humiliated, I admitted that they were mine and that I’d be right back to pick them up. HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU JUST LEAVE AN ENTIRE BASKET OF GROCERIES?!?!? I must be losing my mind.

I returned to the store, entered, and saw my basket of groceries sitting near the Customer Service counter. I grabbed the cart and said a casual, “Thank you” as I passed by as quickly as I could and acted as if nothing had happened. Sam’s Club could have really made me feel stupid (more so than I already did), but they were very kind. Thank heaven for the perks of living in a small town. Where else in the world would employees see only a pink blanket and know who to call to claim the groceries? They had nothing more to go on than that pink blanket! I attribute some of the recognition to my red-heads as they are much more memorable than the average person since they have a not-so-common hair color—and there are two of them, to boot!

11 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wow - great story! That is so sweet of them and great that it worked out. I would have been SO upset to lose all those groceries...

Camille said...

That's so funny, Erika! I think I leave more and more brain cells behind at the hospital each time I give birth...haven't done the grocery thing yet though (but I have left my purse at the store twice...) :)

ellen said...

yes but think of it this way....you did bring all of the kids home with you. no person was left behind which is a miracle in and of itself on a busy day. good job sams club and you are doing good and normal just like me!

Babydoll said...

This is Boston. I have been checking out your blog through Jen's and I love it! I cannot believe your girls are so big. I guess I always imagine kids the way they were the last time I saw them. So not the case! Anyway, I love the story. Burley is a lot that way, because most people never leave, so someone knows you, your parents, or your grandparents.

Heidi said...

So funny!! Thank you for posting it and I hope to hear even more in the future! :)

jrnelson said...

I swear, you really loose your mind when you have kids. Then what you do have left they drive crazy so Sam's club is probably used to crazy mothers!! I have to admit, it has been the worst with Luke, if I don't write things down I completely forget them and the kids and Justin are constantly saying I am crazy!! I have had more than my fare share of crazy moments like you had at Sam's!! Believe me, you are NOT the only one.

GustoBones said...

I think we have all inadvertently left things in grocery carts while trying to corral kids. Glad they called you!! What a perk, for sure!!

j and s said...

Oh my goodness--I love this story! It's three kids sister--three kids puts you over the edge. How sweet that they knew who to call. I actually had a whole cart of groceries rung up and didn't have my wallet. Again, the store was very gracious, but I was mortified. It's three kids.

Becky said...

Erika,
I love you. I am glad I am not the only one who is losing their mind.

Melissa said...

Awesome story, Erika! ;) I've ALMOST done that before... on more than one occasion I've been at some place like Target (buying only a couple bags' worth of things), paid for everything, herded my kids out of the checkstand area, when the checker says, "Um, don't you want your bags??" sigh. It happens to the best of us. I'm impressed that you even took all THREE kids to THREE stores!! I'm too chicken to do even one store some days. :)

Mindi B said...

Hey Erika! I know I am seeing this a month after you posted it, but I just started blogging last week and never realized how fun it is to check out everyone's blogs. This story made me laugh! At least you didn't get to the front of the checkout, have everything checked and realize you left your purse sitting by the door at home - that's super embarrassing!!!